The Diary of Elvis' bass player

This is the story of my life in an Elvis Tribute Show

Name:
Location: Peoria, Illinois, United States

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Chapter 4, Part 2 Elvis is in the Building

After we wrap up "Cara Mia", the lights in the house go down. Jason ques up the "Space Oddessy 2001" into to the Elvis show. Bruce throws down the drum fill leading into "CC Rider". The band jumps in, and spotlight stage right, Al-vis makes his appearance. The crowd goes nuts. It was a sold out show, 300+ people, and man, were they excited. Al walks the stage from left to right a few times, smiling and pointing and dancing before starting to sing. We just keep the song looped until he starts singing. The stage lights are going off in every color and direction. There's fog coming up from the floor, covering the stage.
After opening the show with singing a song and the spotlight being on me, I was not nervous about the Elvis show at all. It was almost like we were a baseball team, and we were leading 5 to nothing in the 9th inning. As long as I can keep focused, it was all but won. I played my bass and danced a little white boy jig onstage.

From "CC Rider," we go straight into "That's Alright Mamma". When that's over, we stop for a minute. About 20 women left their seats and lined up in front of the stage. Al thanks everyone for coming and we slow things down a bit with "I Just Can't Help Believin'" He walks to the edge of the stage and leans down and sings to a woman, gives her a scarf and kisses her cheek. She smiles and blushes and turns to her friends and laughs.
Al has a special talent for entertaining. He's telling jokes and stories in between songs. He's spontaneous and funny. Some of the stories he tells, I've heard him tell before, but some were new. He definately doesn't have a 'set in stone', rigid schpiel. I think he just gets the energy from the crowd. He genuinely wants them to have a good time and they love him for it.
The rest of the set list went like this:
  • Walk a Mile In My Shoes
  • If You Love Me, Let Me Know
  • Runaway
  • Suspicious Minds

Acoustic Set: (Dad and Al)

  • Hawaiian Wedding Song
  • Welcome to My World
  • In The Ghetto
  • Something
  • Love Me Tender

Back to the full band

  • I Got A Woman
  • Are You Lonesome Tonight
  • Viva Las Vegas

Then He does something amazing. Bruce and I go off the stage and bring out a canvas. Al gets a can of spray paint. As we play "Memories," he spray paints a shadowy profile of Elvis. It takes about five minutes and looks awesome. He's a hell of an artist. When he's done, he steps behind the mural, and I kick on a light that back lights the canopy. The people in the crowd can see Elvis' shadow through the mural. He strikes an Elvis pose and it really has a cool effect.

Then, he leaves stage to change. Dad get on the mic and auctions the painting off. The person with the highest bid makes out a check to the charity of his or her choice. After the show, they get their picture with Elvis by the mural. It's a great show piece, the crowd loves it.

Then, we get back to jammin'

  • I Can't Help Falling In Love
  • Little Sister (this was a request. Dad and I knew the song, but we hadn't played it was a band before. But, you wouldn't know that. We nailed it)
  • Teddy Bear
  • Don't Be Cruel
  • Green Grass Of Home
  • Burnin' Love
  • Kentucky Rain
  • Fever
  • Johnny B Goode
  • Wear My Ring

Then Bruce, Dad and I leave the stage. Jason and Al do a gospel set, just vocals and keyboards.

  • Bridge Over Troubled Water
  • Peace In The Valley
  • How Great Thou Art
  • Amazing Grace (Dad returns to the stage to sing background for this one)

Then, the full band returns for the show ending

  • Promised Land
  • Love Me
  • One Night With You
  • Rubberneckin'
  • American Trilogy (This is the show highlight, I'll have to explain it to you sometime)
  • A Little Less Conversation
  • Blue Suede Shoes

Wow. Looking at this list is a litte mind boggling. To think that two months ago I didn't know any of these songs! Now I'm an Elvis Artist, Yeah, Baby!!!

After the show, we did a Meet and Greet the band. Everyone was very excited. People were asking me to sign their flyers, like I'm some big rock star. It was a trip! The first show was a success!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a rock star!

(There just aren't enough people who know it yet...)

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Get some more pics up, bass boy!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home